There are many features of XQuery query language. A list of top features are given below:
- XQuery is a functional language. It is used to retrieve and query XML based data.
- XQuery is expression-oriented programming language with a simple type system.
- XQuery is analogous to SQL. For example: As SQL is query language for databases, same as XQuery is query language for XML.
- XQuery is XPath based and uses XPath expressions to navigate through XML documents.
- XQuery is a W3C standard and universally supported by all major databases.
Advantages of XQuery
- XQuery can be used to retrieve both hierarchal and tabular data.
- XQuery can also be used to query tree and graphical structures.
- XQUery can used to build web pages.
- XQuery can be used to query web pages.
- XQuery is best for XML-based databases and object-based databases. Object databases are much more flexible and powerful than purely tabular databases.
- XQuery can be used to transform XML documents into XHTML documents.